Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Vinylmation Review - Mystery Bakery Toy Story Aliens

For today's Vinylmation Review, I will continue reviewing the "flavors" of the recently released Mystery Bakery series by taking a look at the Toy Story Aliens.

Released: July 12, 2013
Blind Open Window

The Toy Story Aliens are one of my favorites in this series! To recap, I've already mentioned in my last Mystery Bakery review, how much I like this new mix of open window and blind boxing. The Aliens are one of my favorites because of their likeness to the character and the absurd level of detail and subtleties on these figures.

Take the frosting for starters. It's a pizza to represent Pizza Planet, the restaurant where the aliens come from. You've got the crust, the cheese and the pepperoni pieces all incorporated onto the frosting, to make the connection between the Aliens and Pizza Planet. In my opinion that's a cool touch that I never would have thought of! Coincidentally, these colors go great with the blue and green of the aliens themselves. I love the brightness of these figures and it kinda reminds me of how brightly colored Pizza Planet is on the inside.


And now let's look at the individual figures. In true Ron Cohee style, these figures look exactly like they do in the movie, so true to life! Their expressions also match the aliens' expressions in the movie and fit perfectly with the frosting on their faces. The orange color of the frosting matches the color on the frosting cover and shows up well against the green of the aliens. Their outfits are also spot on with the movie and I like the stars in their ears. It's a cute touch.

My one and only criticism of the Toy Story Aliens is that to me, they look a little weird without their ears, but they are such awesome figures that it really doesn't bother me that much. I really love these figures and I think collectors should be happy with whichever expression they "blox".

No comments:

Post a Comment