Monday, July 20, 2015

Vinylmation Review - Park #16 Disneyland 60 Series

The Park #16 Disneyland 60th Anniversary Series was released just last week and I have been pretty impressed by it! I have only visited the Disneyland Resort once, in 2003, so a lot has changed since then. I didn't think this series would appeal to me much for that reason, but surprisingly there are a few figures I'm thinking about adding to my collection!


Reasons to love this series:
  • A great variety of attractions from both Disneyland Resort parks are represented in this series: The Enchanted Tiki Room, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Pirates of the Caribbean, It's A Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Tours, among others. I'm partial to Ree-Yees since I think he's memorable and hilarious to Disney veterans. A great pick! 
  • Appropriate variants - Mickey's Fun Wheel has a Sun Wheel variant figure, representing the original Ferris wheel attraction that was at California Adventure from 2001-2008. (This is how the ride was during my trip). The It's A Small World Clock has a Christmas variant, depicting how the attraction looks when dressed up for the holidays
  • Fantastic designs - I just love the bright colors of the Tiki bird! Beautifully done! The design of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is wonderfully done too, with the car stretching out across the arms and the figure's ears used perfectly for the extension of Roger Rabbit's ears
  • New molds used - This looks to be the first Park series to use the Minnie Vinylmation mold along with the Mickey mold. The Tiki bird and It's A Small World Clock are both on the new Minnie mold, and they look awesome! The Tiki bird even adds an accessory to the new mold
  • Awesome use of accessories - In my opinion, a lack of good accessories can really take away the appeal of the figure. (I'm looking at you Fozzie, no way do I want you without your hat!) The Tiki bird naturally has a hat to finish his look, but the accessories that blew me away were Ree-Yees's camera and the Pirate's bone. So perfect! I was not expecting this, but the accessories could be the difference between these figures being "maybes" and "must-haves".



Things that aren't so great:
This is really just personal to me, since the series, in my mind, is fantastic overall. But there are some figures that don't appeal to me. Like I said, I've only been to Disneyland once, so Oogie Boogie is lost on me, I don't know what he's from. I also don't recall riding Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, so that figure is not on my list either.

No comments:

Post a Comment