Monday, September 09, 2013

Vinylmation Review - Beauty and the Beast


Release Date: June 21, 2013
Blind Box Series

I think this series is applauded because many collectors want more Disney movie specific Vinylmation, especially from classic movies like Beauty and the Beast. I think this series was only conceived and released as a result of the New Fantasyland expansion and not because of fan outcry, but it's widely appreciated by collectors regardless. Series like Beauty and the Beast are, in my opinion, the route Disney should take to successfully attract new collectors in to the hobby. Sets like Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid are definitely more Disney Store appropriate than High School and Myths and Legends.

I think the Beauty and the Beast Series appeals to most collectors because: it's classic Disney, it's movie based, it links to Walt Disney World with New Fantasyland along with the Beauty and the Beast stage show at Hollywood Studios, and it's an expertly executed series.



Reasons to love this series:
  • There's a great mix of characters here, from the main two characters (Beast and Belle) to some less popular, yet easily recognizable characters such as Maurice and Philippe
  • Despite the chaser being easily predicted, it truly fits the description of a chaser. Beast in human form is a desirable character and coveted figure, making him a great choice for the chaser
  • The accuracy of these figures is incredible! Cogsworth and Lumiere have expressions exactly like they do in the movie. Mrs Potts, Maurice, Beast and Gaston also look identical to their movie counterparts
  • The ears. I don't need to say more, but I will! When I first saw this series I was blown away by the ears! The ears are beautiful, unique to Vinylmation and the stained glass design ties in perfectly with the movie fantastically. There are no blank or wasted spaces on these figures
  • The level of detail is impressive also. I love the clear body for Mrs Potts, the addition of Chip in her ear, the choice of a book for Belle's ear, and the choice of a rose for Beast's ear
  • There's a great use of accessories in this series. I love the accessory used to make Lumiere look like a candle and Maurice's cape is a thoughtful and appropriate touch
  • There's also a great use of variants in this series. Sometimes variants seem bland or "forced", but the yellow and red Bimbette variants are natural variations of the character 


Things that aren't so great:
  • Overall, I do love this series although I personally chose not to buy any, just because I prefer to collect Park Series. However, there are a few things that I think aren't the best
  • I personally do not watch Beauty and the Beast that often and I haven't watched it recently, so Monsieur D'Arque is a character who's completely lost on me
  • Sadly a couple of the human figures fall victim to what I call "new mold syndrome". As a result of the new mold shape, the faces of Beast in human form and also Gaston seem chubby and stretched. They're still great figures, they just don't seem to be in proportion as much as characters like Maurice, LeFou and the Bimbettes


Thanks for joining me for another edition of Vinylmation Review and please feel free to share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment