Monday, September 23, 2013

Vinylmation Review - Mystery Bakery Seven Dwarfs

For today's Vinylmation Review, I will continue reviewing the "flavors" of the recently released Mystery Bakery series by taking a look at the Seven (well, three) Dwarfs.

Released: July 12, 2013
Blind Open Window

The "Seven" Dwarfs are one of my least favorite "flavors" in this series. Again, I am a big fan of mixing the blind box and open window concepts, and I love and respect the quality and accuracy of the artwork here. It's purely the character choice that I'm not a fan of. Grumpy has been used several times and Dopey has taken vinyl form before also. My personal feeling is that these characters are becoming over-used in Disney merchandising. You can always find a hat, mug, t-shirt, etc with Grumpy on at Disney World and your local Disney Store. (Although the same argument could be made for Stitch in the Vinylmation world, but he's one of my favorite characters. As I said, it's down to personal taste). I would have preferred to see more recent characters such as those from Finding Nemo, but I can appreciate that anthropomorphic characters work better in this series.

I do however think that this particular line in the Mystery Bakery series might be more attractive to some collectors because of the possibility of "bloxing" different characters, as opposed to the same character with different expressions.



So let's get down to reviewing the figures starting with the frosting. I really like the gems on the frosting to reflect the dwarfs' mine, very appropriate and very well done. Not as amazing as the frosting on most of the other figures, such as the Toy Story Aliens, but still done very well. I really like the diamonds and gems on the ears of the three dwarfs. I think it's a great use of the ears (blank ears are one of my pet peeves!) and it looks even more awesome when the ears poke out the top of the frosting. It all blends together really well. The expressions of the dwarfs and their facial appearance is exactly like their animated form, so I love that!

I don't really like that all three dwarfs are all dressed the same in red. In Snow White they each have their own iconic colors and so having them all in red makes them look a little less like themselves. It works with the Toy Story Aliens because they do all dress the same, but I know it wouldn't have worked to have each dwarf in a different outfit or it wouldn't be a mystery. My only other criticism is the same as a criticism I had with Figment: why have green frosting on the dwarfs faces when the frosting is blue? In my opinion it should be blue.

So overall, a good "flavor" for the Mystery Bakery series, just not my personal fav.

No comments:

Post a Comment