Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 In Review

I don't know about you, but now that I've been collecting for almost 3 years, I'm interested to keep track of my progress in the Vinylmation hobby. How much has my collection grown? What are some of my best blind box pulls? My favorite trades? So I've decided to start reviewing my year in Vinylmation collecting here on my blog. This will be an annual event that I can look back on and remember my journey to collect what I love. Presenting... 2013 In Review! 

2013 Dated by Maria Clapsis

Number of Vinylmation in my collection as of this post:
3" - 98
9" - 1
Jr. - 3

My favorite Disney artist right now is:
Ron Cohee! I don't I dislike the work of any of the Disney Store or Disney Design Group artists and I love the work of several artists. But this year Ron Cohee is my runaway favorite because I have been continually amazed and impressed with Ron's work. The way he uses the Mickey canvas, the level of detail he includes, how his Disney characters in vinyl form look exactly like their animated counterparts - Ron has some incredible talent!

The upcoming set I'm most looking forward to is:
This is difficult to decide. Several series were announced at the 13 Reflections of Evil event in September, but we don't know much about most of those series at present. It's hard for me to say what I'm most looking forward to with such a lack of information on what will actually be released and what the figures those series will look like. But Haunted Mansion Mickey and Friends, Park #14, Park Starz #3, D-Tour #2 and Marvel #2 all sound very exciting. I have high hopes for those series. I'm also surprisingly liking the look of Cutesters Snow Day, I might pick up some blind boxes if they make it to my local Disney Store.

9" UP from Park #6

Holy grail that I wish I owned is currently:
Park #6 UP 9". I don't love very many 9" figures, although I like a fair number, their higher prices and bigger size isn't enough for me to buy them if I don't love them. I love the 9" UP so much that I really hope the trade or price will be right for me to add that to my collection soon. At this point in time that would complete my desired 9" collection and go perfectly with the 3" Carl and Ellie that I already own.

The vinyl that cost me the most this year was:
The individual vinyl that cost me the most was The Land 9" from Park #9. I bought this at retail price plus shipping only to find it at the outlet on my October Disney World trip. That's the way it goes with Vinylmation, you're always taking a risk on what will sell out if you wait and what will go to outlet if you don't. The set that cost me the most this year (but still a fair price) was the Tower of Terror Park #13 set, I hope it arrives soon!

9" The Land from Park #9

My favorite purchase this year was:
This is a tie between several vinyls! So many amazing figures were released this year and I was also able to fill some gaps in my collection. So my favorites are: Pixar #1 Carl and Ellie, Park #9 The Land, Park #13 Haunted Mansion Portraits, Park #13 Tower of Terror Elevator Ghosts and Elvis Stitch. But of course I love everything I've purchased this year!

The artist whose work I added most to my collection this year was:
Ron Cohee. As of this post I added 16 figures designed by Ron to my collection this year. In second place is Maria Clapsis, I added 15 of her figures to my collection, and third is Thomas Scott. I added 8 of Thomas' figures to my collection in 2013.

Blue Monorail variant from Park #12

Most proud accomplishment(s) this year was:
Pulling a Park #12 Blue Monorail variant! First time I'd ever pulled a variant and it definitely took away the disappointment of also pulling 2 figures I didn't want plus 2 doubles. I'm usually fairly unlucky with blind box pulls.

Something new I did this year was:
Trade in person with another collector at Walt Disney World - which was awesome! So great to meet other fans of Vinylmation and to see first hand the happiness and excitement they get from a trade you made with them. I also traded for fun at trade box locations around Walt Disney World for the first time which was more fun and excited than I had anticipated, a great experience!


I wonder what 2014 will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment