Monday, April 07, 2014

The Collector's Space - Enjoy the Downtime


I know that some collectors find waiting for new releases frustrating, especially if there's an upcoming series you're really excited for. I've been there myself sometimes. Vinylmation used to be released way more frequently than they are at present and to be honest, it gets too much. Yes it can be exciting to have so many releases, but if collectors can't afford to buy at the rate vinyls are being sold, they're only going to get canned (meaning Disney will stop producing that series) or the vinyls will end up at outlet. Neither are good outcomes if the series is great, just financially unobtainable.

I missed out on the Park Starz #2 Fossilized Carnotaurs that I need to get

Now I really appreciate the downtime in Vinylmation releases and in this post I'm going to explain why. For one thing, I have limited space and a strict budget, as I'm sure other collectors do. If a series was released every week or even two or three times a month that I want to collect, I would not be able to keep up. I have to be really picky about what I actually buy. If I love everything it gets messy because I can't have everything and I'm a horribly indecisive person! The downtime between releases gives me a chance to evaluate my collection and decided what I really want. (Assuming Disney give you notice on what they're releasing and when, which sometimes they don't, but that's a whole other story).

Haunted Mansion Mickey and Friends will be released later this year

Downtime can also be a great time to focus on making trades, saving money for future releases and even to sell those vinyls you decided you no longer love. I use "Vinylmation Downtime" to save money - waiting and saving up for the Haunted Mansion Portraits Set and the Tower of Terror Elevator Ghosts set nearly killed me! I also use it as a time to go back and get vinyls from my want list that I missed out on. Maybe I was waiting for them to drop in price and now's the time to buy, or sometimes when I blox a series there's a couple I wanted but didn't get through bloxing. Spacing out buying vinyls like that really makes me appreciate them more. Plus you get a steady flow of mail days! ;)

So if you're getting frustrated waiting for a series, try doing the same thing. It certainly makes the time pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment