Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Vinylmation Review - Mickey Mouse Club


The Mickey Mouse Club Vinylmation series was previewed last year on the Disney Parks Blog and it certainly had my attention from that moment on! I was excited to know when it would be released so I could see the other figures and the chaser. While the chaser didn't mean much to me (so I was a little disappointed) I think this is a really strong set overall, and another fantastic Vinylmation release.

Things to love about this series:
  • Variants! - How could I not start there? Collectors go nuts for variants these days, way more than they do for chasers. It's the whole reason we have Eachez. For the first time, EVERY figure in this set has a variant! The variants are the same figures in color, and they look stunning
  • Accessories - These figures wouldn't look half as good without their accessories. Mickey has a baton and his bandleader hat, while Ranger Woodlore has his hat accessory, which looks fantastic
  • Different molds - I think it's really neat to see Clarabelle and Daisy on the Minnie mold. To put those two alongside the regular Mickey mold adds depth and variety to the set, which I like
  • Characters - Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey the bear aren't known by everyone, but with so many Vinylmation already out there, it's always nice to see new characters over repeats of the same figure for the tenth time. While both these characters have been produced already, these characters have been repeated for the first time in this series


Things that aren't so great:
I think for those unfamiliar with the Mickey Mouse Club show will not have such a strong connection to this set as those who do. In that same vein, I think they may not recognize some of the characters, or appreciate the chaser. I certainly don't understand the chaser and therefore it doesn't appeal to me personally. But overall, like I said, this is a strong set. The characters are great, beautifully designed, and who wouldn't want a colored variant?!

No comments:

Post a Comment