Monday, May 06, 2013

Vinylmation Beginner's Guide - How to Collect

Today's VBG post will cover how to start collecting: deciding what to collect and building up your collection. For me personally, I liked way more vinyls than I could afford or store, so receiving tips on how to form a strategy for collecting (aside from "buy the ones you like") was extremely useful.


Tip #1 - To some people this is just common sense, but I think it still needs to be said. Collect what you love! Vinylmation is such an unpredictable and changing hobby (in terms of value) that I would not advise collecting what you think will turn a profit later down the line. Each person is different, but the point of collecting vinyls for me, is to have a hobby, connect with other people, and have a great display of figures that I will never get tired of looking at. They hold so many memories for me.

Tip #2 - Decide your size. Will you collect only Jr? Only 3"? A mix? Making this decision, or creating certain rules for yourself can definitely help save money and space. Be prepared to spend more on 9" vinyls, Limited Editions and Combo sets.

Tip #3 - choose a strategy. There are probably endless strategies to formulate, but here are some suggestions:
  • Choose one, two or three series where you love many or most of the vinyls and collect those series exclusively. For example Park and Urban. That's not to say you should buy all the vinyls in that series, but you could limit yourselves to collecting vinyls from those series if there's tons that you love and you need to limit your spending and/or space
  • Collect the vinyl (or couple of vinyls) that you love from multiple different series. Maybe you liked a lot of vinyls but loved only one vinyl from Cutesters, two from Urban, and a couple of open windows. You could limit yourself to no more than 3 per series
  • Collect only your favorite characters. Some people collect only Stitch vinyls, or Toy Story characters. Others collect their favorite characters in multiple series, such as Villains, Animation, Lion King
  • Or like me, you could decide to collect vinyls that have a sentimental meaning to you

4-11-Vinylmations

Tip #4 - Don't feel obligated to complete a set. If you're limited on money and space, don't feel pressure to complete a set if you can't afford it or can't store it.

Tip #5 - If you don't love a vinyl, or you like the idea of a certain vinyl, but don't think it translated well to the Mickey canvas - don't buy it. This has happened to me a couple times where I love the ride so much, that when I've seen it as a vinyl, I've felt almost a duty to buy it. Make sure you love it enough to add it to your collection.

Tip #6 - Set yourself a budget. It can be tempting to buy quite a few vinyls that you really like, especially when you're new to collecting, and then find yourself strapped for cash when a new series that you love is released. Keeping track of upcoming release dates and setting yourself a budget can help you collect vinyls more evenly and help you refrain from going overboard on your spending! (It can also help to decide if you'll blox or buy from the secondary market before you set a budget)

As for me personally...
I collect for the memories these vinyls represent. I collect only what I absolutely love and I have no intention of ever parting with my vinyls, so I don't think about their future value. I only buy vinyls to add to my collection, not to sell on. I have never completed a set and I would only do that if I loved them all. Since I collect for the memories and sentimental value of vinyls, I mostly collect Park Series vinyls and only deviate from that rule if vinyls in other series relate. (For example Urban 5 Popcorn).

I also try to stick to only 3" vinyls. I don't really like Jrs because they're on keychains and I don't actually like all that many 9" so they're not too tempting. I stay away from those mostly for space. They would end up in a closet!

Please leave a comment telling me how you grow your collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment