Monday, May 27, 2013

Vinylmation Review - Behind the Mask Series

For today's Vinylmation Review, I will be looking at the recently released Behind the Mask series. Sadly, I don't really have anything positive to say about this series, and in my opinion, these are not worthy of the name "Vinylmation".

Released: May 20, 2013
Blind Box

I first heard about this series around March time. The idea sounded pretty interesting and full of potential. Masks... that could mean so many things. Disney characters dressed up? I'm thinking in the style we saw with the Star Wars Open Edition: Stitch as Yoda, Goofy as Darth Vader, etc. Maybe it would be like the Tiki Gods in Adventureland? But despite all these appealing ideas, The end product was actually this:


And if you're dying to know just what is behind those masks...


I have never been so disappointed and disinterested in a Vinylmation series. And there are over 2,000 vinyls currently in existence. For starters, I don't understand the target audience. Even if I didn't like them, I would hope that I could think of a market that would want them. I don't like the High School series, but I can understand that if you were in your school marching band, or football team, you might want a couple of those. But THIS series?! It makes absolutely no sense to me. Even if you wanted a vinyl wearing a mud mask, (maybe because you're a beautician), do you really want an old bearded guy underneath?

Complete with painted toe nails...

So for starters, I don't understand the premise of this series. The "characters" are strange, I don't know who Disney think these appeal to, and why would you want to blind box these? On top of all that, they're just so incredibly ugly!


I find it really hard to take Behind The Mask seriously. It looks like a "worst Vinylmation contest". And if it is, I declare the chaser the winner. Get a load of this guy:

The Chaser

Tell me you've never wanted a vinyl of a grandpa in briefs pretending to be a wrestler!

I will cut Disney some slack and concede that this series probably hit the drawing board years ago and went into production a long time ago also. (And on that note, man I would be embarrassed to pitch this to Disney! I can just imagine the whole boardroom laughing. Surely this series is just a joke?) My sincere hope is that this series is a HUGE failure (it does have buy-one-get-one written all over it) because 99% of vinyl collectors do not want series like this. We got into the hobby for DISNEY and I hope this series will be the last and Disney will learn their lesson.

What are your thoughts on this series? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment