Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vinylmation Review - Mickey's Wild West

Today I will be reviewing the recently released Mickey's Wild West series!


Released: April 22, 2013
Blind Box

I was pleasantly surprised by this series! I'm not sure why but when I first heard about this series, it didn't sound like anything special. It might even have sounded like outlet fodder. But I'm happy to say that my assumptions on this series were wrong. Where do I even begin with this series?! I'm really happy to see a DISNEY themed series for starters! All this stuff like Extreme Wrestlers, High School, Zooper Heroes... WHY?! Who thinks, "y'know, I really wish I had a Vinylmation of a koala in a super hero costume and a school bully vinyl to remember the good ol' days". Surely every vinyl collector got into it for the Disney factor on some level?

I'm also super impressed with the level of detail on these figures! The more I look at them, the more I'm blown away. I even love Clarabelle! There's a great mix of characters in there and I'm also interested to see work from Gerald Mendez and Enrique Pita since I do not have any vinyls by either of those artists.




Reasons to love this series:
  • There's such a great variety of characters: the Fab Five plus new additions of Huey, Duey and Louie was a good choice in my opinion. I think there's a character there for everyone
  • I just cannot get over the detail! Every little thing is covered! Minnie has bonnet strings under her chin, Clarabelle has her cow bell, each of the Duck nephews has his signature color weaved in, the wild west scenery in many of the characters ears... it goes on and on and I'm so impressed
  • The unique and creative accessories: how awesome is Minnie's bonnet, Mickey's hat and Donald's war bonnet?!


Things that aren't so great:
  • I do not understand the reason for Horace and Goofy's spaced out expressions. It makes them look creepy in my opinion. I do actually like both of these characters, but I'm really not a fan of these vinyls because of their weird faces
  • Daisy. I hear she's stirred up quite the controversy! I don't really have a problem with her being a "saloon girl", it fits the theme and cowgirl was already taken. But honestly, I do think it's a little "risque" considering how cautious Disney usually are. My reason for saying Daisy is a not so great aspect of this series, is just because I think she looks like there's something missing... like her skirt. Just my opinion


My Verdict:
I think this is an awesome series, worthy to have been made and sold in Disney Stores! I'm hoping this is a sign that Disney is listening to vinyl collectors. As much as I love this series, I wasn't sure if I wanted to add them to my collection. I think you can appreciate and love a vinyl without wanting it for yourself. (If you've been here a while, you'll know that I exclusively collect Park Series 98% of the time). I also had a really hard time narrowing down the ones I wanted. Well, I caved! My favorites are Minnie and Donald and after debating with myself for a few weeks, I bought both of those. That however will be my limit of Mickey's Wild West vinyls, as much as I really do love this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment