Saturday, April 27, 2013

Vinylmation Beginner's Guide - How Does Trading Work?

Blind boxes can seem very daunting for new collectors - how can I get the vinyls I want and what do I do with all my extras? Trading is a solution to that problem and that will be the focus of this post.


There are so many different ways to trade, but one method I endorse is trading at the Disney Parks. I know people have some issues with this, like the same types of vinyls ending up in the box, but for a beginner I think it's great, especially if you have too many duplicates.

There's a video here from Steven Miller explaining how to trade at the Disney Parks that I would recommend watching. One thing Steven doesn't mention in that video that's important to note, is that you cannot trade for a vinyl in the clear trading box, if the vinyl you want to trade for is already in that box.

I would like to point out here, that the rules do vary. Steven covers the basics in that video, and those are the official rules, however some Cast Members will not make you trade your vinyl for the one you pick from the mystery box if you don't like it. Others however will strictly enforce that rule. Some Cast Members will also let you trade from the mystery box more than once, but again, others won't. Sometimes it just depends how busy the Cast Members are.

Clear trade box in Animal Kingdom

If you're not heading over to a Disney park any time soon, there are other ways to trade away from the parks. There are websites solely for trading vinyls, there are trading groups on social media sites like Facebook, people trade over Instagram and there are forums for trading. I do not want to recommend any of these methods without trying them for myself, so I'm, letting y'all know that they're out there but I am not going to put my name to anything specific.

If you're a new collector, I would be prepared that people might turn down your trade offers. I am not trying to crush your spirits, just noting that some collectors have been around for a while, and have A LOT of vinyls in their collection. If your collection is small, you might not have anything they're looking for. Long term collectors will also know the secondary market values of vinyls and might not want to trade vinyls 1-for-1 if they don't have equal value on the secondary market.

Mystery 15 Trading Box

I would also like to mention that you should be careful with these internet methods. I personally have not used any because I'm just too afraid of the worst case scenario. I do not know these people and there's no buyer protection that after I give them my money, they'll send me my vinyl. There's also no guarantee that if I receive the wrong vinyl, or a damaged vinyl that I will receive a replacement or my money back. But, I know plenty of people who have had great experiences from Facebook trading groups, Instagram and trading websites. If you're cautious, you'll be fine!

Whatever method or methods you choose, good luck trading!

No comments:

Post a Comment