Monday, November 18, 2013

My Thoughtful Spot - 8 figure sets


The first time I saw an 8 figure series was Urban Redux #1 and I thought that was Disney's way of mixing up and re-vamping the Urban Series. One of Disney's original Vinylmation series, Urban was heading into the ground, becoming less appealing to collectors. Urban Redux #1 didn't appeal to me, but I don't really collect many Urban figures anyway, although I do appreciate a lot of the artwork there.

The next time I saw an 8 figure series was Cutesters En Vogue and again I thought this was Disney's way of mixing up a series that didn't seem most popular with collectors. Now we're learning that 8 figure sets might be a paradigm shift within the world of Vinylmation: Park #13 will be released as a set of 8, as will Cutesters Snow Day, Pixar #2 and Silly Symphony were released as sets of 8, and of course continuing on from before, Urban Redux #2 was also released as a set of 8.


I'm in two minds about this shift. Part of me likes it and part of me doesn't. On the one hand, I like it because it puts less pressure on a series, with 4 less figures to create each time, hopefully we'll see better quality in the figure choices. It will save collectors money, because it will be easier to complete sets with fewer figures and the cost of trays will be reduced.

On the other hand, I don't like 8 figure sets. It worries me that they could cause a decline in anticipation and enthusiasm among collectors. In a typical 12 figure set, usually I like around 3 figures, but sometimes I want as many as 8-10, however I have yet to love all 12 in a set. If a collector doesn't like 3 or 4 figures in an 8 figure series, then they dislike half the set. Would you blox for just that 1 figure you want? Maybe you would because it's better odds than bloxing for one figure in a 12 figure set. But this could cause collectors to dismiss buying smaller sets entirely if they don't like that many of the figures.

Overall, I think there are several ways to feel about 8 figure sets. I also think these smaller sets will turn out to be either a good or bad move depending on each series. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment