Friday, January 03, 2014

How Times Change


I have probably mentioned before about how unpredictable Vinylmation can be in terms of knowing that will happen to the price/value of a figure. Most of us know about vinyls so popular that their price has skyrocketed beyond affordability. Park #1 obviously, but that's to be expected. Usually the firsts of any collectible item become the most valuable. Take comics for example. I'm thinking more about sets like WALL-E and Eve, which now sell for over $500 from an original retail price of $24.95. Or Pixar #1's Carl and Ellie, which now sells for around $90 from an original retail price of $26.95.

I think it can be hard to predict what will sell out and go for crazy money and what will ultimately lose its value. The strangest thing to me is chasers. You'd think that a chaser would at least hold its value, if not increase in value, since they're often very desirable and by definition more rare. But today I came across a listing on eBay for the Animation #3 chaser, Nessie, that surprised me.


The listing is a Buy It Now for $20 plus $2.58 shipping - a grand total of $22.58 for a chaser I saw selling for $100 back in April. There are some commons in other series you can't get for that price! I guess you never know what will happen with most figures. I don't even think it's possible to form a rule, even from experience, because each situation can be different.

For the most part, everything seems to decrease in value. Many common Urbans and Park releases sell for under $10 now, many variants (whilst still expensive) have dropped some in price. I've seen Wet Paint Donald variants decrease from around $150 to $80, Blue Monorail variants decrease from $300-$500 down to $100-$150, mostly it just takes some time.

It's looking to me like Marvel might be the exception to the rule. At first I saw these selling for around $15-$20 on eBay, but now the popular figures like Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Iron Man have crept up to $25-$30. Will they drop later down the line? Or increase more and more because the series has sold out?

Leave a comment if you'd like to offer your tips, predictions or observations :)

No comments:

Post a Comment