Sunday, March 09, 2014

Vinylmation Review - Cutesters #6 Snow Day

Released: January 18, 2014
Blind Box Series

I was pleasantly surprised by this series! I don't own any Cutesters figures because almost all of them don't appeal to me. I do enjoy the figures in the Cutesters series that have little Disney touches, but that seems to be almost the Cutesters #1 series only. However, I am starting to see why Disney makes these lines and I don't wish them away like I have with series such as Zooper Heroes, High School and Extreme Wrestlers. These figures are cute! I'm sure kids want to start collecting vinyls too and maybe a series like this is more appealing to them than a series like Indiana Jones that is probably unappreciated by children under 10.

So for Cutestsers overall, I've been fine with Disney making them, but haven't bought any for myself. Cutesters Snow Day almost became a different story. I liked the look of them from the previewed concept art shown at Reflections of Evil, but I really liked them after seeing the 360 pictures on Disney's official website. In keeping with the theme, they are definitely cute and I think they brighten up horrible wintery days. (Which we've had far too many of in my neck of the woods this winter!)




Reasons to love this series:
  • The figures are designed very well artistically. I love the use of the clear on the narwhal, cloud and especially the seal figure. The arms work so perfectly as the seal's scarf along with the ears as a splash of water, that I almost forget it's a Mickey mold
  • I like that this series has a theme. Arguably, Cutesters #1, and Cutesters Too didn't have themes and appeared a little like a hodgepodge series. The theme here is snow and also animals for the most part. A much more solid Cutesters series in my opinion
  • Good use of accessories. I love the skates on the polar bear and the ear muffs on the seal! Very cute, appropriate and unique to the Cutesters series



Things that aren't so great:
There's not really anything that I dislike about this series. In fact, I would happily add 5 commons and the chaser to my collection (although I haven't yet). I guess all I could say on the critique side would be that I think the Owl is the least cute. If I had to change something, I'd give him a cuter expression. (But he does a lot like a real owl)

No comments:

Post a Comment