Saturday, March 29, 2014

Vinylmation Review - Indiana Jones Series


I was pretty excited for the release of the Indiana Jones series, especially because it's Raiders of the Lost Ark themed. I think that's probably my favorite. While it doesn't scream Disney to some people, I think it's a good choice for Disney fans. There's the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland in California, there's the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studios (which I have had the honor of participating in) and there's a scene from Raiders in the Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World, so this series can be a great theme park souvenir as well as some great movie memorabilia. 



Reasons to love this series:
  • Every memorable character has been included. The man himself, love interest Marion, Indy's pal Sallah, the evil Nazi Major Toht, villain Rene Belloq, the swordsman in Cairo who picked a fight with the wrong guy and the Nazi mechanic
  • The chaser is pretty impressive. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't see that one coming. The Golden Idol was a fantastic idea and although it's not perfect in my opinion, it looks pretty dang close to the real thing
  • The accessories - Indy needed a good hat and he got one, plus the Cairo swordsman by definition needed his sword
  • Good use of ears. If you've been reading here for a while, you probably know that being lazy with the design of the ears is one of my pet peeves. Sallah's and Marion's ears are a little plain, but I love the fire in Major Toht's ears, resembling the scene in Raiders where he burns his hand in a fire, the propellers in the mechanic's ear look like he's standing in front of a plane as he does in the movie, the bricks in the swordsman's ears really reflect his scene in Cairo, and Belloq's ears show the scene where he inadvisably opens the Ark
  • I think Thomas Scott did a great job with most of the figures. Major Toht, Indiana Jones, Sallah and the Cairo swordsman all look true to their human counterparts. The mechanic and Belloq still look good, just not as good to me
  • The combo topper is also awesome! Indiana in his Egyptian disguise was another great choice of figure and more what I was picturing for the chaser. The face is spot on with Harrison Ford's and the disguise is accurate too. The hieroglyphics in his ears are just perfect, an impressive touch, and adding the staff of Ra as an accessory? What more could you want?!



Things that aren't so great:
  • Not to be too repetitive, but again, it would have been good to see a better use of Sallah and Marion's ears, but that's just me getting picky
  • I'm sorry to say but I really don't like Marion. I know human faces are hard and I couldn't do any better, but the face doesn't look human or like Karen Allen

Thanks for joining me for another Vinylmation Review!

No comments:

Post a Comment