Sunday, June 08, 2014

Vinylmation Stories - Goofy's Candy Co.

Gawrsh
Series: Goofy's Candy Co.
Artist: Thomas Scott & Maria Clapsis

I've said before that I'm not a big fan of the Jr. Vinylmation series. Many of them have been done artistically well, but I find their small size and keychains more difficult to display. If you add them to your keys, as some of my friends have done, it's not long before the paint rubs or chips off, which seems a waste of $9.95. But when the 8th Jr. series, Goofy's Candy Co. was released, the temptation was too great! With 18 figures in a Jr. series, packaged in blind boxes that retail for $9.95 each, I bought the two figures that I wanted from the second hand market. One of which was the Gawrsh figure, which is also one of the 2 chasers in the series.

This figure is sentimental for me, which is why I just had to have it. When I was younger, my dad and I would often visit the parks at Walt Disney World, just us two. A tradition that developed was my dad buying me some Goofy's Candy after we rode Pirates of the Caribbean, always our last ride before leaving the Magic Kingdom. Typically I chose Goofy Burgers that looked like this:


I would save it to eat as we waited in line for the bus back to Disney's Old Key West Resort. Sometimes I would choose other items of candy, like taffy or gummy bears, but usually I picked the Goofy Burger. When I saw the Gawrsh chaser, all of those memories came flooding back to me and they still do every time I look at it. I think of all the candy I would stare at before finally buying some and eating it at the Magic Kingdom. The happy memories triggered by Vinylmation figures are exactly the reason I collect them and why they're so special to me. And that particular memory is why I bought my first Jr. Vinylmation figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment