Sunday, August 03, 2014

Vinylmation Stories - Adventureland Talking Drum

Adventureland
Series: Park #6
Artist: Casey Jones

As a child, I loved the Talking Drums in Adventureland. Many people mistake them for Tiki Gods, but they are actually tribal drums that play music and sometimes spray water. You can find these fellas outside the entrance to The Jungle Cruise and you can listen to their tribal chant here. I was always interested in mythology growing up, especially Native American, Norwegian, Egyptian and Polynesian, so these guys were super cool for me as a child.


I loved to listen to their chant and my brother and I would dart in and out of their semicircle trying to avoid their sprays of water. Many happy hours were spent here for me as a child. When Casey Jones's figure was released, I knew immediately that it was one of the Talking Drums, the first one on the left in both pictures. What a great choice for a vinyl!


Casey has added an amazing level of detail and color to this figure that really impressed me. It looks identical to the drum it's been designed after, especially the facial expression and the top of the head. It's beautiful and really looks like it came straight from Adventureland. The more I look at this figure, the more detail I notice. The awesome choice of figure (I'm sure many people miss the Talking Drums), Casey's fantastic artwork, and the happy memories this vinyl holds for me, are all reasons why this Vinylmation was another of my must-haves.

No comments:

Post a Comment