Saturday, May 24, 2014

Vinylmation Review - Villains #4

Released: October 11, 2013
Blind Box Series

I think Villains is a great idea for a Vinylmation series! I also think that the Villains line has only improved over time. With each Villains series, there are always hits and misses for me, but overall I really think each new series brings out some fantastic figures.

Villains #4 was no exception! Villains is not a series I typically collect, although I do own Chernabog from Villains #3 (I'll get back to that in a Vinylmation story). But other series outside of my usual collecting habits are tempting me more and more these days! However, I still think Villains #4 is a great series overall. I also traded recently for Captain Gantu at my location Disney Store.



Reasons to love this series:
  • I say this a lot because often it's true, but not always, there's a great selection of characters in this series. There's a villain from Lilo and Stitch, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Hercules, Robin Hood and The Nightmare Before Christmas to name a few. Almost all of these characters have never been seen before as Vinylmation
  • So in a similar vein, but I feel it deserves its own point, we have new characters in this series. Sometimes characters get repeated across Vinylmation series and this can work if the designs are different. Other times this gets too repetitive. However the only repeat in this series is Oogie Boogie, who has completely different artwork than his previous appearance in The Nightmare Before Christmas #1 - which is awesome to see
  • Great use of accessories - Razour's hat is just incredible! McLeach has a pretty great hat accessory too. The light bulb accessory on the Frankenollie variant is also a creative touch
  • True to likeness - Razour, Pain and Panic, the Rhino Guard, Cyclops, the Sheriff of Nottingham and Maleficent all took exactly the same in Vinylmation form as their animated selves. Very impressive
  • Great use of ears - I love the dice in Oogie Boogie's ears, the Rhino Guard's clear ears, the light bulb in Dr. Frankenollie's ears and the galactic stars in Captain Gantu's ears
  • Creativity - I would never have thought of combining Pain and Panic onto one vinyl and it looks awesome!


Things that aren't so great:
  • Some of the characters just aren't to my taste. I'm not familiar with Fat Cat, The Horned King, McLeach, or Dr. Frankenollie and Cyclops is not one of my favorite characters either. But that's down to personal preference

No comments:

Post a Comment